Thursday, January 6, 2011

Part One: The little things

I started taking some “notes” of random things or things that have crossed my mind that surely I will forget about next month or even the next day. It’s so true about sometimes the days take so long but the years pass by so fast. So here's to part 1 of ?.

After I wrote that I began thinking about how we’ve been in our house for six years. I would have never thought we would have lived in same house or the same town for this long. I love our little life in Brenham, our little house is something that I would love to change….The only way we’ll change that is if we move from Brenham and I’m not willing to do that anytime soon.

Hadlee and Harper, my dear girls…you have been fighting like boys for the last couple of months. I’ve just let them go at it, biting, scratching, hair pulling, and kicking. Wow!!! One of our house rules is no fighting so they have to take it outside. Your daddy and I have watched some good fights through the back windows. They usually don’t end until Harper cries. On the day that school let out for Christmas, Mrs. Hoppens said that the girls were throwing punches with each other. It happened two different times and she finally told them they were going to move their sticks if it happened again. I guess time will tell if 2011 will change these best friends.

A couple of weeks ago, we let the kids take a bath without an adult present. It was the best evening. Your daddy and I sat on the couch and one by one each of you went into the bathroom and took your own bath. Mommy and daddy got some great adult time and then we got a little one-on-one time with each of you after baths. Everything went so smooth so we tried it again a couple nights later….we’re back to adult supervision during bath time. We had water EVERYWHERE, a bottle of shampoo got used in one night and someone used a hand towel as a washcloth.

How many new toys do we need? The kids don’t play with many toys. Hays plays mainly with his CD player and his stuffed animals. The girls play with their babies but mainly draw and play school. The kids received three huge bags full of toys for Christmas. I’m happy to report that after taking out the new toys we replaced old toys that we don’t play with back in those three bags.

When the girls were talking about the one gift from us they could receive Hadlee said a new outfit would be fine. Harper said that clothes weren’t a gift. She wanted a baby doll that cried and talked. Harper got the baby doll and that thing sang “la, la, la, la” and “weeee mommy” all the way home from College Station one day. Hadlee got a simple skirt and shirt and was happy as can be. Hays got “Tank” his new dog.

Aunt Cynthia found some cute flip-flops with bling-bling on them for the girls for Christmas. On Christmas Eve when they opened up their gifts, Harper’s favorite gift were the flip-flops and a necklace. (I would consider those clothes or accessories) Harper’s shoes were a little small so Aunt Cynthia said she would return them the day after Christmas. When we woke up on Christmas morning, the first thing out of Harper’s mouth was I can’t wait to get my new shoes on Sunday, that’s one more day, right. The shoes were exchanged and she was sporting her new shoes on a cold Sunday. I should add that Hadlee also got flip flops and loves her, too. The necklaces came from a gift shop at the Gaylord that we were looking in one night. The girls love to shop and found these bottlecap necklaces that they had to have. I told them “No” and they gave me a little attitude. It was so cute when they opened them….oh they are just like the ones I wanted, how did you know…..

Aunt Melissa got the kids “pillow pets” for Christmas. Holiday advertising was great for our five year olds. “It’s a pillow, it’s a pet, it’s a pillow pet.” We are now proud owners of a bee, dog and unicorn. I’ve always been a little freaky about stuffed animals but have no problem putting them in the washing machine on a regular basis. I’ve only lost one animal in the last five years so we’ll see how the “surface wash” pillow pets hold up to my regular washing.

The other night while Wade and I were talking on the couch. (I might just add that this is golden for us to get to talk while the kids are still up but it’s starting to happen more often.) The kids were playing in their rooms and having a great time until we hear, “NO HARPER! NO I DON’T WANT TO HOOK! Hays is screaming at his sister and keeps telling her that he will hold her hand. This goes on for a couple of minutes and in the past we usually get the cries…she hit me! Harper emerges from her bedroom with Hays following and starts saying, “Mama and Daddy, Hays doesn’t want to hook” We finally catch on that they are playing “bride and groom” and Hays doesn’t want to hook arms with her. Harper goes into the computer room and gets our wedding picture from the desk and shows Hays, “you see Hays, you have to hook”

Hays’ new obsessions are calendars and dates. He has a calendar in his room that he colors in each day. He’s started remembering days like the last time I wore these shorts was Saturday, October 2nd (they were shorts that got left in a bag after he changed at Cooper and Cannon’s birthday party) I find it pretty neat because if I need to know a date, he’s the one I ask before looking on a calendar. The other night at supper we were eating sausage. (everyone except Hays) Hays comments that the last time they had sausage at school was on a Wednesday. I take it a step further and ask what the date was. Without hesitation, Hays replies November 10th. Daddy said I call bull on that. I said that I would bet him $100 and that we just needed a school lunch menu. The next day I find a November school lunch menu and I got WON.

We’ve always had a struggle for Hays to take liquid medicine. Since he was 2, it’s been a huge battle….craziness….and I’m not the only one that has battled with him. It was easier giving him shots at the doctor’s office if he needed antibiotics. I’m proud to say that Hays is now the best pill taker of the family, just give him a pill and he’ll chase it with a little Coke.

All the kids ate a “black-eyed pea” on New Year’s Day. Hays took his like a pill but he did eat one. He stumped two toes the other day and one of the first things out of his mouth was “I guess I should have ate more black-eyed peas”.

Hadlee…..Momma and Hadlee have been having some differences. Let’s just say that Daddy made the comment the other night that he was getting a little stressed over all the drama that was going on between the two of us. The drama started by her yelling at me when she didn’t get her way, then the drama that ensued when she was corrected for her actions. If what I experienced for three days straight is an indication of our teen years, I see Hadlee hanging out with her parents while the other two are having fun with their friends. Harper and Hays didn’t know what to think of their sister’s behavior, I did use it as a teaching opportunity to explain to them that you don’t talk or treat people that way. Momma will win….Hadlee had no toys or accessories left in her room. She’s almost earned everything back and can now pick out her clothes again. I’m happy to report her behavior for the last 6 days have been excellent.

Nana and Papaw got the kids (or Hays) a DS for Christmas. Daddy helped Hays set it up by adding his name. The next day Wade went to help one of the kids on it and Hays had changed all of the name information to “Nick”. Yes, Nick, Ashley and Kara still reign at our house. It’s so funny to hear them playing and start calling Harper by her nickname, “Ash”.

No comments:

Blog Archive